Friday, January 27, 2006

Sadly the Sushi aint Super


I imagine that people who spend a lot of time eating their favorite international food are surprised when they actually go to the country of the foods origin. For some people, they might find the "real" food a revelation, or epiphany for their lives. Thinking to themselves, "oh, so this is how it's supposed to taste. I can't believe I've missed all this bliss." Or, it may be the complete opposite.
Sushi Shouldn't Stink...

For me, I had every opportunity to eat sushi while I was in Japan. And I made many an effort to find the best. But truith be told. It's all better in Japan. It was not just a flattery for me to tell Japanese that the cheapest sushi is as good as our best. Even here in Seattle, where we have a huge internationally asian community. The sushi's just better in its home country. So, why do I need to tell you about it? Well, because I recently had my first experience eating sushi in the US since I left four years ago.
When you make a Maki (sushi-roll) make sure you connect the nori (seaweed paper) ends...

So, here's the critique. First and foremost, stop using fake or processed wasabi. Though it may cost a bit more, it makes all the difference in the world. Especially since it's the only spice that you will ever get with sushi. Their wasabi cost about $2.00 a tube, and I probably could have picked out the brand at my local Supermarket. Secondly, and probably slightly more important, do not use your fish a second day. Throw it away. If you can't predict how much fish you will need for a day, then you, as the owner needs to take the loss until you get it right. Then, make sure that you are really making sushi. I can make something that looks exactly like sushi in my own home. And, though it might taste right, I would never presume that I could actually be a sushi chef. Now, at this point you might think that I'm being a total snob about this, having spent four years in Japan. But I'm not, I'm just trying to get people to understand what the minimum standards are.
The key to a good sushi place is the chatter... irashaimasen... hai saamon... onagaishimas... mo ringo chu hai...

Final test. If you taste your sushi again on the way home, then it wasn't good sushi. Never once did I taste my sushi again in Japan. I drank big bubbly beers, and didn't taste anything. I drank acidic sake, and didn't taste anything. But after I left this place, I tasted it again, and again, and again. I actually avoided a kissing opportunity because of it. This is probably one of the two reasons people don't like sushi. To taste your food again is something we never want. But, fish, that's about the worst re-taster you can have.

No comments: