Saturday, January 14, 2006

ReAmericanizing


When I came back to the states, I figured I wouldn't have all the "readjusting" to American society stuff that people talk about. I mean, why would I need to readjust to something I've been doing for 30 years, right? Well, of course, I do/did need readjusting time. Things have gotten a bit hairy of late. Turns out that I needed to actually think about driving, or at least remind myself that I am the person controlling the motion of my vehicle. At first it wasn't a problem, but as I relaxed, it turns out that I was relaxing back into a Japanese life, rather than an American one. Same goes for the money and spending stuff. Two or three times now I've been totally baffled as to what is happening when I need to pay someone. Not used to this credit card life yet... And tips. Though I haven't made any super stupid moves by not leaving a tip, I have nearly done so once or twice. And I don't remember all the people that I need to tip. Anyway, still got some adjusting to do. Though I did wear my shoes in the living room without thinking today. And I sat and watched 4 hours of TV.

Keep up with the conversation...


The funniest thing is having conversations with people. I have totally lost the ability to keep up with the pacing of a conversation. I'm now one of those interrupters, you know, the people who step on your feet when you're trying to make a point. Or not make a point... I was out with a renewaly found friend recently, and she likes to talk, a lot. She, like a lot of extroverts I know, like to talk and talk and talk. It's great, but here I am trying to get my synapses to put a sentence together that's longer than 5 words. (Which is about the limit I can use with most of my former students in Japan before they start to loose what I'm saying.) I feel like a complete red-neck. "Uh. Yeah, that's cool. I like stuff." Sheesh! I'm just hoping that people will be a little forgiving for the next couple months while I take that extra second or two to remember that I'm allowed to use my entire vocabulary. Which I swear has been reduced by 3000-5000 words. "Ya know, a kitchen smock!" "L" Maybe I should change my name to Lob. ;)

No comments: