Sunday, July 31, 2005

Synchronicity


Being in Japan, I'm completely lost...or rather the world of American Television is completely out of my reach on a week to week basis. I'm about a year behind anything new and hot in the US. It's nice.
But sometimes I'm lucky and get ahold of a show that's popular back home. Right now it's the first season of LOST. It's a good show, I love the variety of character and plot...etc. Anyway, the 18th episode has yet another super strange moment. And this is what prompted the post.
You see, all sorts of people believe in luck and serendipity, but we imagine it's as simple as what we see on TV. But it's not. These moments that lead to a certain outcome are immense. The number of variables are beyond our measurement. The wind, the way a coin sits in your pocket. They're all part of the equation. If I hadn't put my backpack in a locker last night when I was at a club dancing, maybe I would have gotten a really cool shot. Or, maybe my camera would have been damaged. I can't know now, but it's set up a new angle to the equation, to the luck, to synchronicity.
It's interesting thinking about that sometimes.
And this is why I am blogging, cuz this would have just been a thought for myself, rather than anyone who happens to read the blog. And who knows how it will change the equation.

No comments: